Book Review: " I am Second - Real Stories, Changing Lives " by Dave Sterrett and Doug Bender



Famous or unfamiliar, these are the stories of real people who reached the end of their strength, the end of their control, and found the most surprising truths. It taught them not to rely on self or substance but to lean on the only completely reliable source of love, hope, and freedom: the God who created them. Shocking in their honesty, inspiring in their courage, these testimonies are critical reminders that no one is too far from God to find him.


This book is an easy read..BUT I found myself taking time to think through each page as the biographies unfolded one by one. It was like listening to them in person right across the table.Their stories are reminders that God will go to any length to show His love for us. These stories are short and that is something that kept my attention and helped me focus on the essence of each story.

The book contains real life stories of people who have experienced the worst seasons in their lives but as they realized the depth of God's love for them, they came out as gold. It helped me realize that sometimes I take life for granted and never think about people who could be going through worse. Someone's prayer can avail much. I learned to pray more....even for people I may not know. 

The title of this book " I am Second" means that we simply put God first. And that's what the people in the stories did. They put their desire for fame, money, love, identity, satisfaction and everything else aside. When they offered the place that was due to God, they experienced change that turned their lives upside down, inside out. Today, they are able to share their life-changing experiences with thousands.It is because of that one decision that they made..to put God first.

What does it mean to put God first? Here are a few things I do ...

  • Start your day with a prayer by asking God to fill you with His love and lead you throughout the day.
  • Go to God with your plans and decisions before going to people.
  • Ask God for help in your areas of weakness instead of fighting them with your own strength.

I read something in my church today and it is so relevant to my review: "You will never be second in anything in your life, when you put God first."

This book will assure you that God's love is as deep as the hurts and pains in our lives.

Disclosure: I received a sample for review purpose only. No monetary compensation was received. The above post reflects my personal opinion.

 

0 comments:

Post a Comment