I gave away all the baby stuff to a couple in my church, who will have a baby boy in 3 months. I wanted to bless them with all they needed for the baby's arrival.I remembered to count my blessings when my Noddy Boy was born.I told myself then that i will bless another mom with all this.This couple was glad to receive all that i gave them.
It is also good for the environment to recycle products.Imagine each family buying and throwing away a high chair.All that plastic in the environment , the damage would be great, if we do not recycle.
I was a bit sad to see all the baby stuff leave my house, but i needed space for more cars, trucks, trains and building blocks.Just having the baby stuff at home seemed to make me happy...in some way.Babies are just so happy and they make all of us happy.Such lovely creatures, so fresh from God..how can we not love them dearly?!
I was blessed to receive many hand-me-downs for my son when he was born.I was given lots of clothes, toys and other accessories by my friends from church.I bought used toys for my son.We kept our expenses under control and tried not to get carried away by all the "cute" stuff in the market.Many a times, i walked right past that really cute and smart outfit that was priced outrageously.It was all for good as now i see my Noddy Boy grown up and his preferences have changed and will continue to change..We will provide him ample opportunities to explore and discover his passions and interests, but within affordable limits.We will teach him to realize that not everything has to be brand new. Accepting to use second hand products from a reliable source is equally beneficial and doesn't make a hole in your pocket.The truth is you get to enjoy more for less. Now how does that sound?!
Some tips on how to enjoy more for less:
- Become a member of your local toy-lending library.
- Find out moms with children who are 6 months younger and older than your child. Do frequent barter or sell for a reasonable price regularly.If clothes / shoes are maintained well, you are more likely to be asked if you have a onesie or a pink top or a pair of sneakers.
- Recycle and reuse at least toys, if not clothes.
- Find deals on your local online classifieds ( US - Craigslist etc, Canada - Craigslist, Kijiji etc)
- Garage / Yard sale are ideal for toys, bicycle etc.
- Thrift shops are a great place to shop.You can even sell your clothes at some thrift shops.
- Borrow books and DVDs from your local library instead of buying them.
- Do product-reviews!